Rescue Mission Plans Annual Backpack Giveaway
By Renee Del La Cruz
Photo by James Quigg / Daily Press
Posted in the Daily Press – June 22, 2019
(To read Daily Press original article CLICK HERE)
VICTORVILLE — In anticipation of back-to-school season, the Victor Valley Rescue Mission is preparing for its annual Backpack Giveaway celebration at First Christian Church.
Designed for children pre-K through 6th grade, the giveaway at the Victorville-based church will include free backpacks, lunch, crafts facepainting, a bounce house, haircuts and more, said event organizers.
“The nonprofit group Sole to Soul is planning to bring 300 pairs of new shoes and 1,500 pairs of new socks,” VVRM Community Relations Coordinator Dawn Quigg told the Daily Press. “They’re one of the many groups who will be coming out to help bless the community.”
Victorville Fire Department Chief Greg Benson, a team of firefighters and a fire vehicle with also be at the event, said VVRM Director Bill Edwards.
“One beautiful thing that’ll happen at our celebration — Dane Davis from First Christian Church inviting the children to a gospel presentation,” Edwards said. “There’s a good chance that a high percentage of these kids have never heard the good news of Jesus Christ.”
Sharing the gospel message is a “key value” in the mission and work of the nonprofit based in Victorville, Edwards said.
The VVRM is also taking donations of school supplies, including pencils,glue sticks, erasers and packs of crayons. Items can be dropped off at the VVRM, 15572 Seventh St., Victorville, or by calling 760-955-5958.
Pre-registration for the July giveaway is being conducted at three locations in the High Desert until July 12 or until all backpack availability is filled. Pre-registration locations and times include:
- From 9 a.m. to noon on Mondays at High Desert Transitional Living Connection, The Gate Church, 11783 Amethyst Rd., Victorville.
- From 10 a.m. to noon on Tuesdays at First Christian Church, 17746 George Blvd., Victorville.
- From 10 am. to noon on Wednesdays at Victor Valley Rescue Mission Office, 15572 Seventh St., Victorville.
For pre-registration, documentation is required for each child including:
- Proof of current address (ID or bill)
- Proof of limited income (last two check stubs of proof of receiving assistance)
- One of the following documents for each child: Birth Certificate, immunization card, or Benefits Identification Card (BIC)
The Backpack Giveaway is scheduled from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on July 25 at First Christian Church, 17746 George Blvd, at the former George Air Force Base in Victorville.